GD427 in action

GD427 in action

Sunday 12 February 2012

Fuel Tank

After messing about with bits of stainless steel to make a new brake fluid reservoir bracket, I got my finger out and got the fuel tank installed. I had to tidy up a few wires first as there's a few extra run to the boot area of a GD that I'm not using for my build, they're for things like heated rear screen for the hardtop, general accessories and because I'm using the loom provided by the engine supplier I've not used the connections GD provide for the fuel pump.



I also had to run a length of brake pipe for the vent on the fuel tank filler neck. This is fixed with small plastic p-clips and self tappers which protrude slightly into the wheel arch behind so I'll have to cut the ends off with a Dremel.



Fuel tank finally fitted. The top end of the straps are secured with jacknuts and the bottom end with a single bolt straight through the boot floor that's tightened up from underneath.



After all the effort I made trying to tidy up the loose wiring, it all got in the way of the bottom outlet on the tank so it needs a rethink. I may have to have the tank out again but it's good to see it all fitted and strapped down. In theory, I'm back in a position to have the engine running, I can't believe it's been 10 months since it last ran.

If you're wondering what the blue stuff is around the boot opening, it's masking tape that I used to hold down some thin strips or card used to space the boot lid away from the body to the same depth as the rubber seal. This was so I could position the hinges correctly to have the boot lid level with the surrounding body work when it's shut. That's been there a while as well !

No comments: