GD427 in action

GD427 in action

Sunday 5 February 2012

Closure....

Ahhh, remember this..Fuel filler cap.. well I'm finally back round to the filler cap and I'm pleased to say it fits perfectly and you can't see the join. :-)



Once the tank is fixed I can join the two pieces up with some filler hose and finally tick this item off the list.



I've got a little more work to do on the cap itself, it needed a vent installing which involved drilling a hole in the side of the neck, tapping it with a 1/8 NPTF bit and screwing in a fitting which will allow me to install a length of copper tube (brake pipe) to act as a vent. The pipe run will initially rise inside the boot to stop fuel flowing down the vent pipe and then follow a path down and out through the floor of the boot. In theory, with the end of the vent pipe lower than the tank, this should stop fuel running out of the tank through the vent pipe if I'm ever unlucky enough to find myself upside down... scary thought and probably the least of my worries ! Incidentally, the 1/8 NPTF bit wasn't something I had in my toolbox and after a bit of online searching I was a little dismayed at the cost of buying one for a "one off" job. Ebay came to the rescue and I bought one from China for about £8 delivered !

No comments: