GD427 in action

GD427 in action

Sunday, 25 July 2010

Forward wiring loom started.

Little bit more progress this week. I fitted the side vent on the driver's side so that's both of them done now. I'm going to leave them wrapped in masking until I fit them for the last time. I still have to tidy the recess itself and spray it and the spacing tubes matt black.

I also bought some new polish/compound. Using a rotary polisher and Farecla Profile 200 with a wool pad I polished the bulkhead in the engine bay. This was followed by 500 on a lambswool pad and finally glaze on a polishing foam. Other than the odd shaped head I seem to have developed, I'm very pleased with the results.

With this area finished I could start to install the forward wiring loom. Just got a couple of "p" clips on to hold it in place, the rest will have to be left for another day.

Sunday, 11 July 2010

Bonnet Locks Finished

Quick update.. Cut the slots into the bulkhead to take the bonnet locks and repaired a few scratches with gelcoat. Still need to finish the edge in places but otherwise the bonnet is now finished and just needs polishing. I'm going to leave that for the time being and keep to my plan to trial fit all components and then take them all off again before polishing the body. Once that's finished, the parts can all go back on and be fitted permanently.

Everything seemed to take a long time today and I don't feel I've got much to show for it. One thing I have done this week is order the chassis. I'm also shopping for an engine and gearbox. When that lot arrives there should be some major advancement in a very short space of time. I've gone for the "Euro" option which comes as a rolling chassis with all the suspension components, hubs, drive shafts, diff etc already bolted in place . The plan will be to bolt engine, gearbox, exhaust and a few other bits onto the chassis and then drop the body straight on. I've still got a long list of jobs to finish before hand but I'm really quite excited !

Sunday, 4 July 2010

Bonnet Locks .....

... or how to fit a square peg in a round hole.
I used a 20mm hole saw to cut the holes in the bonnet for the locks to fit into

The lock itself is prevented from turning in the hole by have a square neck with rounded off corners. In order to mark out for the square section to be cut I placed the barrel in position and aligned strips of masking tape to the edge of the "flats" to transfer the square onto the bonnet.
I then used a small file to cut back the edges of the round hole to the edge of the masking tape to create the square hole.
Both locks fitted and the rest of the holes drilled and bolts fitted to the bonnet scoop.
Next job will be to cut the slots in the bulkhead which the bonnet locks slot into.