GD427 in action

GD427 in action

Saturday 28 April 2012

Securing the body / engine connections

I needed to find a way of securing the connectors which join the body looms to the engine/chassis looms. The standard GD arrangement is for two connectors in this area but because I'm adding a few additional circuits namely; provision to power the reverse lock out solenoid on the gearbox and a low oil level warning, I have three. It was all a bit busy in this are so I decided to use some P clips to tidy them up and hold them down securely. I started by drilling and then tapping a M5 hole to thread a button head boot through from underneath in the footwell area.



Because the bolt was held securely, this made it a lot easier to work with as I didn't have to worry about holding it in place while I fitted some P clips around the cylindrical connectors. I used two at the bottom and a third separated by a short length of steel tube at the top. The bolt is a little longer than needed so I may swap it for a shorter one when I come to fit the nyloc.



Not the best pictures in the world but you can just make out the three p-clips and the short length of steel tube. I've used a stainless M5 repair washer underneath to spread the load. Another reason for fitting the bolt from the inside up rather than outside down is that I didn't want to take a risk with the end of the bolt protruding into the footwell area and posing a potential hazard to the occupant. Because of where it is I'm not sure whether it would be an an IVA issue but either way, better safe than sorry.

No comments: