GD427 in action

GD427 in action

Saturday 30 April 2011

Gearshift and Intake Clearance

I cut two more holes today in preperation for the body going on. The first was the hole to give clearance for the gearshift. The tremec box I'm using has a short stub shaft which would foul the tunnel so a hole has to be cut before the body can go on. This poses a problem as until the body is on you can't use this as a guide on where to cut the hole. I'm sure there's a few different ways to overcome this, I chose to use the body mounting holes as reference points and as close as I could, transfered the measurements from them to the gearshift from the chassis onto the body. I used various pieces of wood, clamps, spirit levels and tape measures, the proof of the pudding is in the eating so we'll have to wait until the body is on to see how accurate I was.



The Dremel with a radius cutting tool doing it's thing...!



Ta daaa...




The other hole I cut was to give clearance to the air intake tube which runs from the engine forward to the air filter. There's not quite enough clearance as the tube disapears beneath the nose of the car so a small section has to be cut away firstly from the lip around the bonnet opening and then a section from the piece which holds the bonnet hinge fixings.

The cable you can see just pushes up out of the way.

Not a bad fit, of course it may need a bit more work once the body is on but should only require a little fettling.

This is the view from underneath showing how the GD air filter mounts inside the nose cose



No comments: